Sunday, July 18, 2010

tote diaper bag finished!

I finished my prototype tote diaper bag made with Orla Kiely for Target items.

I used Orla Kiely dishtowels (2 sets) and and her laundry bag for the inside.

orla kiely tote bag

The bag is about 14" tall, 15" wide and 5" depth with fusible interfacing and a piece of cardboard at the bottom for structure. End pockets have elastic at the top to hold bottles. A zipper pocket is on the inside (my first time sewing one of those-and without a pattern!). Flap pockets on the inside also to hold onesies, etc. I added a zipper to the top (and totally left it to the last minute to figure out how to attach it-so it's on there kind-of wonky).

orla kiely tote bag

And I added Orla's label from a towel to the inside.
I get to keep this bag (although not for carrying diapers)! Now I need to make the real thing-a diaper bag for my friend Staci (who's baby arrives tomorrow!). I figured out a better way to add the zipper-top on her bag-hope it works out!



Wednesday, May 26, 2010

new fabric binder cover tutorial (mini)!

The fun Urban Home Goods swap last month started by the lovely ladies Heather and Kerri prompted me to finally make a project on my own Home Goods To Do list. A fabric covering for my 3-ring binder that holds many a pattern for quilts, tote bags, etc, etc.

fabric binder cover
(why did my picture auto-rotate itself and how do I rotate it back?! so much to learn about html...)

I checked out this neat binder cover tutorial but wanted to make something a bit simpler. So I pretty much just figured things out as I went along. I used fabric in my stash (no "favorite fabrics" were harmed in the making of this binder cover :). 
I have a 2" binder (measuring 11.5" tall and 24" wide when open) so I cut my outside fabric (juicy stripe by AH) 13" x 25.5" and ironed fusible fleece on to this piece (next time I won't use interfacing this thick). Two pieces of inside flaps fabric (vintage light purple solid) were cut to 13" x 11.5" along with two center facing pieces 2" x 8". Two inside flap lining fabric pieces (vintage pink ticking) were cut 13" x 11.5". Two pockets (Sew Now! Sew Wow! by AH) were cut 5.5" x 11.5".


(sorry this is not an in-depth tutorial-see link above for complete tutorial by Lola....again! or email me any questions!). First, I hemmed the top of the pocket pieces. Next, the inside edges of the pocket flaps needed to be sewn together. I placed the pockets on top of the inside flaps (both with right sides facing up) and covered with the flap lining fabric with RST. I stitched one long side of each sandwich (right side on one and left side on the other). Folded over and pressed seams flat. I placed the pocket flap pieces on top of the outside fabric RST like in these photos and added center facings.


I stitched all the way around the rectangle with 1/2" seam allowance, making sure the pockets were tight so they didn't flap (although I still got a bit of flappadge so there's got to be a better way to add the pockets!). Turn RSO and press.


Added my binder and tada!

fabric binder cover

fun place to store my patterns! Notice the write-up of my Christmas Tree table runner pattern in the pocket?!
cheers!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hungry Caterpillar quilt

A year ago I made a Hungry Caterpillar quilt for a school fund raiser and I had lots of leftover fabric from the whole line (fabric was from Andover).  So I bought another main panel and made a very similar quilt for my friend who is due with her first baby (a girl!) in May.
Cheryl's shower was last night and it was so fun giving her this quilt, along with Eric Carle's Hungry Caterpillar board book!

hungry caterpillar quilthungry caterpillar quilt

For the quilting I decided on wavy lines running horizontal and I LOVE how it turned out.  For my first Hungry Caterpillar quilt, I free motion quilted it.  But I won't do that on my machine any more since I have lots of problems regulating the stitch (oh, how I want a Bernina with a stitch regulator!!).

hungry caterpillar quilt

I actually have one more main panel and most of the fabrics leftover yet again.  So we will be seeing another one of these in the future.  BTW, I designed this quilt but it was very closely inspired by quilts made by Emily of Carolina Patchworks.